Monday, November 5, 2012

Crucible Essay Draft Reflection

As of the first draft, I was not all that confident with my essay. I feel like there is a lot more I could add to it and I am happy that we still have the opportunity to make improvements. I had a hard time putting my ideas on paper. I have examples and I have many facts but I was struggling when it came time to translating those from just ideas to actual written words. I was happy that I did have the examples but now I just need to work on how I to say what I'm thinking.

I did find the pre-writing activities very useful. The outline sheet you gave us made it extremely easier to put what I had on there into an essay format. I pretty much had my whole essay on that outline and then all I had to do was go into detail more for the actual essay. The thing I might change in the future for pre-writing activities would just be to include more in my outline. If I included more, it would be even that much easier when it came time to writing my essay.

I felt like the peer editing did not do much good for me. It's not that our friends are too nice, it is because they do not really give specifics of what to change in the paper. However, it did help me to read some other people's papers. I got some different ideas and I realized some things I need to change in my own paper just from reading a different essay. As previously mentioned, I do not think the peer editing feedback helped me as much as it could have. I think we all, including me, need to be more specific about what to change and what to leave the same in the person's paper that we're editing.

I think a strength of my essay is that I have good reasons to support my topic. I also think that my first paragraph is pretty strong. Some of the weaknesses of my essay are that I might not have enough examples and I need to explain my topics more. For my next revision, I plan to focus on my first paragraph and not listing my main points right away. I also need to back up my points and tell where I got them from. I haven't added my citations yet so I will need to be doing that as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment