Friday, January 17, 2014

Topics for final writing assignment

The first topic I find interesting is social media. Because this is such a broad topic, there are many problems and issues that can be discussed. One major problem is the fear of missing out. People are constantly checking their phones or computers to see what the latest gossip or news is. While in reality they are missing out on real life experiences. Another big issue is that there are so many misunderstandings and arguments that get started on social media websites. Because we are unable to read someone's facial expression or hear their tone of voice, it is easy to misinterpret what someone might be saying. I think that social media in today's society has gotten completely out of hand. People all over the world are on social media cites on a daily basis, usually multiple times a day. To try to raise awareness, I think the best way is to just show people how much social media has taken over our lives.

Another topic I find appealing to write about is bullying. The troublesome subject of bullying is nothing new to our society. Bullying has been an issue in our country for many years. However, it seems that it is only getting worse. Many kids and adults are bullied everyday. Whether that is physical violence or verbal abuse, the pain is still just as strong. People are trying to start anti-bullying campaigns, but sadly not much is changing. I believe that bullying is a horrifying matter that needs to be put to an end once and for all. We mostly hear about bullying in our country, but the truth is that bullying is a worldwide problem. In order to try to raise awareness on the subject, I could find specific disturbing bullying stories and share with students to demonstrate just how dangerous bullying can be.

The last topic that sparked my interest is our current education system. Kids are merely trying to pass school and get good grades rather than actually trying to learn and comprehend the information. I have been guilty of this before in the past. Our overall grade is the only thing that matters. Our grades establish whether or not we pass a class. Our grades decide if we graduate high school. Our grades ultimately determine if we will get into college. Through all of this struggle to get good grades, are we really learning what we need to know? We may learn the information long enough to pass tests, but I believe students are not retaining the information. It's a shame that our education system has come to this.  Therefore, something needs to be done. As a way of trying to raise awareness, I think that both students and teachers need to be aware of this growing problem. If the students and teachers understand what the problem is, maybe they will try to avoid falling into this continuous trend.

No comments:

Post a Comment