Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Blog #1

With the help of Honors English 3, my abilities as a writer have increased immensely. I have learned multiple techniques and styles of writing that were foreign to me before last year. When starting a major essay, I first plan everything out as thoroughly as possible. This includes pre-writing activities such as an outline. In this outline the topic is clearly stated, the thesis statement is properly written, there are supporting ideas, topic sentences for each paragraph, and then plenty of examples/quotes supporting your ideas. One of my strengths as a writer is that I do take the time to make an outline and plan out how I am going to write the essay. Although this does take more work and effort, it ultimately helps out in the long run. Probably my greatest weakness as a writer is that I do not always expand upon my ideas as much as I could. This year I am really going to focus on trying to find as much research as possible and then include that in my essay along with facts I already have stated. Writing is a lengthy process, however, it is also extremely important. Whether you are a journalist or fashionista, you will have writing experiences for the rest of your life. All jobs involve writing at one point or another.

I am looking forward to this class. Writing does take a great amount of time and thinking, but I don't necessarily dread writing. As long as the topics are interesting, I find writing enjoyable. During this semester I hope to continue to expand upon my abilities as a writer. I find it challenging the amount of essays we will have to accomplish this year and how we will be working on multiple essays at the same time. However, I think this will only make me a stronger writer. This will also help me out in college. Because I do not know what I want to do when I get older, having good writing skills will be an excellent concept to have.

1 comment:

  1. It makes me happy to know that honors was a success last year! I hope that you continue to gain more knowledge in the practice of writing this year!

    Research is a tough thing as is expanding on your argument. Good pre-writing will help with that as well.

    You're going to do just fine!

    10/10

    ReplyDelete