Friday, August 17, 2012

My Impressions of Writing

I personally enjoy writing. Mostly creative writing, that is. I think you can say so much in a piece of writing. Whether it is a story or an essay question on a test, you are able to describe your feelings and emotions through your writing. Even though I do like writing, I may not be the best at it. I usually have a hard time figuring out what to actually write about but then when an idea comes to mind I don't have much troubles with writing. I am pretty good with the grammar aspect of writing. Some things I would like to improve upon would be using more detail and descriptive words. You can hardly ever have too much detail in writing but you can definitely not have enough detail. A good description will allow your readers to picture themselves in the piece of writing. They will also get a good feel of the type of writer are. Your writing basically says everything about you.

I am not very excited for the poetry unit. It's not that I don't like all poetry, it's that I don't understand a lot of poems. They are very confusing and complex for me. Also, the fact that we will then have to read poetry out loud does not sound too fun. But I am excited for the first chapter we are doing because I like history and I like writing so I think combing the two would be fun. Plus, I've never really learned about the history of writing and literature throughout all my years of schooling. It is going to be something completely new to me and I like learning new things. I also find that the "Women's Literature and A Changing Society" unit sounds interesting. I think I will do well on the units I find more appealing. However, I'm not saying that I will necessarily do bad on the units that I'm not looking forward to.

1 comment:

  1. I've found that the common response to my question is that there are difficulties getting started with writing. I suffer the exact same thing, even today with my Masters program writing assignments. The key for starting a piece of writing is to thoroughly think through the process and do some pre-writing. That's something we'll be working on as far as strategies to get started with writing. The more you write, the easier it somewhat gets.

    Another common thing I've heard is people's dislike for poetry. Poetry can be difficult, but it is an essential form of writing that I find rather unique. We'll probably do other poems sprinkled throughout the year, but I think we have a lot to learn about American society through this form of writing.

    I'm excited to start a brand new year and a brand new class! I feel we'll all learn a lot as the year progresses.

    ReplyDelete